One of the many questions I had when I started was, “what are these tiers that people keep talking about?” I’d see things like “Geared Rogue looking for Tier 6 guild” and “T6 priest LF guild” in chat and wonder what the hell they were talking about. So here is an attempt to explain tiers.
Firstly there are two main uses of tiers that I’ve seen. The first is talent tiers. A Tier 1 talent tier consists of those talents at the top of a talent tree which have no prerequisite to select in you build. A Tier 2 talent consists of those talents second from the top of a talent tree which have a prerequisite of five points already spent in the talent tree (in this case they would have to be Tier 1 talents). And so on. You rarely see talent tiers discussed in-game and they are used more when discussing builds or theory crafting on websites.
The second use of tiers is regarding gear tiers, this is the more common use in-game. These are item sets with set bonuses for wearing multiple parts of the same set.
- Tier 1 gear drops from Molten Core
- Tier 2 gear drops from Molten Core, Onyxia’s Lair and the Blackwing Lair.
- Tier 3 gear drops from Naxxramas prior to Wrath of the Lich King. After the release this instance will be moved to Northrend and upgraded.
- Tier 4 gear drops from Karazhan, Gruul’s Lair and Magtheridon’s Lair
- Tier 5 gear drops from Serpentshrine Cavern and The Eye (Tempest Keep)
- Tier 6 gear drops from Hyjal Summit, Black Temple and Sunwell Plateau
So based on this, a Tier 6 guild is one that is raiding instances which drop Tier 6 loot. Simple once you get the hang of it, but eternally confusing to new players.
The first three tiers are rarely discussed since the Burning Crusade as they are relatively weak items. There will be two new talent tiers and, I believe, two new gear tiers introduced in Wrath.
Wrath of the Lich King
- Tier 7 drops from the 10 man Wrath raids
- Tier 8 drops from the 25 man Wrath raids