As you may have read previously I am slowly leveling a protection warrior alt. Moowall is now level 75 and finishing up questing in Dragonblight. He’s tanked a few instances and has good survivability and ok threat generation. The threat generation is mostly keyboard error I think as I am still learning multi-mob tanking.
Anyway, as usual I have put together a list of gear I am targeting for my toon. In this instance it is initially to get to 535-540 defence and tank heroics, but it it includes some easy upgrades to go beyond that.
Firstly I am aiming for about these numbers to be comfortable tanking heroics. I expect i’ll be a bit less than this at the start, but my targets are (unbuffed) 21k armor, 21k health and 32% dodge+parry. I didn’t come up with these numbers, but I can’t remember which web source I got them from either. So take them with a grain of salt.
Here are my rough stat priorities:
- 164 Expertise rating > 263 Hit rating > Str > Stam > the rest
- Dodge > Parry
Reputation-wise there is a lot of good stuff from the Wyrmrest Accord initially with both Argent Crusade and Ebon Blade having some nice upgrades, but generally at revered or higher. So here is my rough priority list for working on reputation: Wyrmrest Accord > Argent Crusade > Ebon Blade. Revered is mostly sufficient if you are in a hurry.
Just a couple more things before I regurgitate my gear list, i’m a jewel crafter, so my list is biased in that direction. If JC isn’t your thing you will either have to substitute your own ideas or buy a few more items off the auction house. Also because this is my third 80, and I use the auction house a fair bit, it is biased towards the excellent gear I can buy from the AH for 400-600 gold a slot.
At this stage i’m mainly expecting him to be tanking heroics, with the occassional fill-in role as OT in the easier raids. He will also be only hitting 80 about the time 3.2 arrives, thus there is lots of high end emblem gear included.
Anyway my target gear list is:
- Head – Tempered Titansteel Helm (AH) –> T8.5 hat (58 EoC)
- Neck – Burning Skull Pendant (AH) maybe –> Titanium Earthguard Chain (JC) –> Shard of the Crystal Forest (19 EoC)
- Shoulder – Wapach’s Spaulders of Solidarity (AH) –> T7.5 (60 EoV)
- Back – Durable Nerubhide Cape (AH) –> Platinum Mesh Cloak (25 EoV)
- Chest – Breastplate of the Solemn Council (Wyrmrest Revered) –> T8.5 chest (58 EoC)
- Wrist – Bracers of Dalaran’s Parapets (BoE for 60 EoV from Turkelife)
- Hands – Zeliek’s Gauntlets (AH) –> Gauntlets of the Royal Watch (EoC)
- Waist – Waistguard of the Risen Knight (AH) –> Shieldwarder Girdle (28 EoC)
- Legs – Special Issue Legplates (Argent Crusade Honoured) –> Wyrmguard Legplates (39 EoC)
- Feet – Sabatons of Draconic Vigor (Wyrmrest Revered) –> Kyzoc’s Ground Stompers (40 EoV)
- Fingers 1 – Kurzel’s Warband (quest from Mack in Grizzly Hills) –> Titanium Earthguard Ring (JC)
- Fingers 2 – Ring of Earthen Might (JC) –> Signet of the Impregnable Fortress (25 EoV)
- Trinket 1 – Figurine – Monarch Crab (JC)
- Trinket 2 – Figurine – Ruby Hare (JC) –> Valor Medal of the First War (40 EoH)
- Main – Hammer of Quiet Mourning (quest Zul-Drak)
- OH – Titansteel Shield Wall (AH)
- Ranged – Armor Plated Combat Shotgun (AH)
You might be lucky to get Zeliek’s Gauntlets off the AH for a decent price. Its in the list because I already have them in the bank for him. Likewise for Bracers of Dalaran’s Parapets.
- Meta – Effulgent Skyflare Diamond (+32 stam and -2% spell damage)
- Other gems – I haven’t got a fixed plan here. Being a JC I will be mixing and matching a lot, but this will be primarily defence rating > stamina at the start I expect.
- Head – Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector (Revered Argent Crusade)
- Shoulder – Lesser Inscription of the Pinnacle (Honoured Sons of Hodir)
- Back – Enchant Cloak – Titanweave
- Chest – Enchant Chest – Greater Defense
- Hands – Enchant Gloves – Expertise
- Wrist – Enchant Bracers – Major Stamina
- Feet – Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Main – Titanium Weapon Chain
- Shield – Enchant Shield – Defense
For more ideas check out Kungaloosh’s post on a similar subject.